I wish this was an angry rant about the sleeves for the Tangled Yoke Cardigan. (There’s another photo here for those not on Ravelry. If you knit and you’re not on the list, go join up. I’m serious. Stop reading and go get on the waitlist!) I wish there was something really wrong with the sleeves, with the pattern, with the yarn that I’m using (The Maine Line from Jaggerspun in French Blue) or even with the recipient of the sweater. Fortunately for my stepmom, both her arms are roughly the same length.
Today’s rant is simply about my inability to count. Because clearly I can’t.
The sad truth behind my penchant for two-at-once socks is that it prevents the embarrasment of creating a pair of socks where one is a little longer or taller or shorter (or whatever) that the other.
For the Tangled Yoke Cardigan, I’m working from a 1 lb cone of yarn and so I didn’t want to have to do a lot of guessing (and splicing) in order to determine how much yarn each sleeve would need. I figured hey, I can count just fine, and I even made myself a little excel chart telling me when to increase, when to change from the garter-rib pattern to stockinette, and giving myself little check-boxes to keep track of my progress. Yes, sisters, I can hear you laughing at me right now.
So the only thing I can conclude, after finishing one sleeve and working halfway through the second, is that I am just unable to keep track of things at all and therefore I must always work socks and sleeves at the same time to (hopefully) be sure that they’ll come out the same length.
So it’s off to the frog pond for me, to rip out an entire sleeve and more than half of a second one. Perhaps from now on I’ll stick to tank tops.