It was a desperately productive weekend at the Barony. I managed to clean out and re-arrange the medicine/linen closet and I made serious headway on moving my stuff into the guest room. It still looks like a storm just passed through, but at least I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve chucked a bunch of stuff that I just don’t want or need anymore and I did a massive pile of laundry, so all the “keepers” are now fresh and clean and put away. A few weeks ago, I did the same kind of triage on my dresser (at which time I actually labeled each drawer as to contents with my trusty rusty p-touch, much to The Baron’s amusement) so now I’m feeling as though the clouds are parting on getting organized and settling in. It’s a long process, though, so I am trying to be as patient as I can with myself.
It was a cozy and quiet weekend – lots of at-home chores got done – and Friday night’s thunderstorm made me feel like it was entirely appropriate to just stay home all day Saturday, puttering around. After we had breakfast I made a pan of brownies, which filled the house with a yummy, chocolate-baking smell and which filled our tummies for the rest of the weekend. In the afternoon we worked on a puzzle which we finished, sore-necked, just before bedtime. All in all, a great at-home day – I changed out of my jammies in the evening to shower and then put on fresh jammies for bed, avoiding real clothes altogether.
The gentle energy of the weekend was also applied to my knitting, which, in all honesty, has suffered badly the past few weeks. I couldn’t get to my darning needle through all the clutter in the guest room, so save for the weaving in of ends, I finished my skinny Clapotis scarf and another square for the Warm Up America! blanket. Somehow I managed to screw up the Clapotis so that the beginning of the row didn’t correspond to the end of the row, as written in the pattern. This wasn’t really a problem, except that at the end of the scarf things got a bit tricky and the dropped stitches didn’t fall exactly where they should’ve. Even so, I was fairly proud that I managed to eyeball the yardage of the precious Lion & Lamb so that I finished the piece with hardly any yarn to spare. I even ripped back a bit in order to add a few more rows – I just couldn’t bear to waste any of the rich, silky yarn. Miss V, one of my office-knitting buddies, suggested that we each knit a scarf to wear on our office trip to New York in December. She’s still just learning to knit and purl though, so now that my New York scarf is done, I might have to knit one for her too. It feels good to get a project off the needles (just like it felt good to finish that puzzle Saturday night) but I’m feeling a bit desperate at the moment, casting around for a meaty project to sink my teeth into. I might just have to cast on another “mindless” project to keep my sated until my next yarn shipment arrives.
The blanket squares are good to have finished – they’ve been quick, easy knits and good examples for the new knitters I’m trying to teach. Pictured below, the bottom square is plain garter stitch, the middle is stockinette with a slipped-stitch pattern (right side: k5, sl1, wrong side: purl all stitches) and the top square is 2×2 checkerboard (right side: k2, p2, wrong side: p2, k2, right side: p2, k2, wrong side: k2, p2). I also did a simple square in pink with a heart motif worked in yarn-overs in the center. Good times. Hopefully the rest of the girls in the office will be done with their squares soon so that I can get everything finished, washed, blocked, and off to New York.